The 7 Stages of Website Redesign

I am grateful to the good people of Hubspot.com for these tips and relevant to my customers at present:

The 7 Stages of Website Redesign
This Website Redesign Checklist will let you essentially function as the PM (Project Manager) for your website’s redesign. The checklist is designed to walk a marketer through a redesign step-by-step from strategy to planning, designing, building, testing, and optimizing, to delivery, launch, promotion and final analysis. To make this checklist easier to use, this cover sheet will break down how to use each stage within the template for maximum productivity.
Stage I – Strategy
Developing a strategy ahead of time is an important part. Please read through the ebook portion of the redesign guide for detailed tips. As you approach your goals, be sure to tie your goals to measurable results. Some sample goals include increasing monthly traffic, making content more shareable, or improving conversion rates.
Stage II – Plan
Be sure to take the time to answer some crucial questions and evaluate whether you are doing this in-house or hiring someone to do the work. You should also take time to review all of your current assets – and, we mean all of your assets – page by page. This will take a lot of time and can easily be started as part of the first stage and may continue well in stage 4 and/or 5.
Stage III – Design
Throughout the design stage you and your designer should be in constant communication but note that a lot of back and forth at this point will effect your timeline. This stage is also an opportunity for you to continue to work on content and marketing planning especially as it relates to the site launch. To get the most out of the new design, all elements should work in harmony with marketing (i.e. content and call-to-action) best practices.
Stage IV – Build
The building stage is pretty much outside of your realm of work and entirely in the designer and/or developer’s hands – this is where actual coding starts to take place. Use this time to finalize your content and prepare for the upcoming launch. Typically getting the site from 0-80% happens rather quickly, it’s the remaining 20% that will take longer. The more you go back and forth with your designer and pick on small details, the longer this process will take.
Stage V – Optimize, Test and Deliver
This is the stage when your team should be all hands on deck. Everyone should do a run through of the site using different computers and browsers, reading the content, clicking around, filling out forms etc. Once all those parts have been explored and everything checks out, the site will be ready for full deployment. Have management sign off on everything, finalize content and schedule the site launch date.
Stage VI – Launch
Launching can mean different things to different people, mostly because there are various content management systems and development circumstances out there. For instance, if you are redesigning a site that uses a content management system or publishing platform, your launch may be as simple as applying a new theme. Consider launching site at off peak hours (especially if you have customer log-ins) and non-event days, just in case something goes wrong. Promoting the launch of your new site is optional. Depending on the types of changes it may not be worthwhile making a large announcement.
Stage VII – Analyze
Post-redesign analysis is important. You put all this time and money into this process, you’ll want to know if it was worth it. Based on your goals and initial benchmarks, you’ll want to do a before and after comparison. Collect the same benchmarks 1, 3 and 6 months after your redesign. It may take a few weeks, and in some cases months, to get back to previous performance, so don’t be dissuaded if your site isn’t performing as expected.
Advertisements

About Robert Moloney, Coach & Mentor

Robert is an experienced businessman, who attributes his success to working through people to help them realise and achieve their goals. A qualified Electronics Engineer, he has worked in Sales, Sales Management, business Management roles. In addition he has owned and run an IT business and had great success with his Recruitment business. A lifelong member of Kilmacud Crokes GAA Club, he has coached and mentored teams from juvenile to adult. “My passion is in helping people realise their potential, in life, in business or in sport.”
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s